Re: [LAU] On the fly bass downmixing to mono (mpd or alsa)?

From: Matt Garman <matthew.garman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 10 2014 - 18:08:21 EET

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 6:31 AM, Ralf Mardorf
<ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> JFTR when mixing everything to mono, IOW also for the mid/hi speakers,
> than the OP might not miss the HiHat that is more to one side than to
> the other, but it could happen that some effects, vocals and other
> signals will be completely eliminated, especially if the OP does listen
> to simple popular music, usually made by DJs. Some of those "engineers"
> use out of phase effects to spread the stereo impression.

This is why I would prefer to only downmix frequencies below 150 Hz or
so. That is, preserve the upper frequencies as much as possible, and
only meddle with the frequencies the subwoofer will handle.

The existence of phase effects never occurred to me. That's an
interesting complication.