Re: [LAU] On the fly bass downmixing to mono (mpd or alsa)?

From: Matt Garman <matthew.garman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 10 2014 - 17:59:01 EET

On Mon, Feb 10, 2014 at 6:08 AM, Shani Hadiyanto Pribadi
<shanipribadi@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Now this is where I lost you, how many speakers do you have exactly,
> and how many amps for them? Doesn't it mean that you need as many amps
> for each speakers you have if you ditch the speaker selector?
>
> If indeed you want to control it like that then you also need a soundcard
> with as many output channels as the number of power amps channels for
> the speakers.

I currently have three pairs of speakers, and intend to add a fourth
as soon as this is all squared away (the wiring for the fourth is
already in place, I just need to connect them to speakers). The
existing three pairs of speakers are the in-ceiling speakers I've been
talking about. The fourth pair of speakers will be traditional
full-range speakers. That's one reason why I want to send the
full-range signal to the power amp (and in turn the speaker selector).

I think you might be confusing the AVR with the speaker selector; they
are two different devices. The speaker selector is a passive device
(it doesn't require external power). It simply allows an amplified,
speaker-level signal to be multiplexed. Without such a device, I
would indeed need to have a 1:1 power amp to speaker pair ratio.

Here's a concrete example of a speaker selector, Monoprice product 8229:
    http://www.monoprice.com/Product?c_id=109&cp_id=10903&cs_id=1090305&p_id=8229&seq=1&format=2