Re: [LAU] On the fly bass downmixing to mono (mpd or alsa)?

From: Matt Garman <matthew.garman@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 10 2014 - 17:49:05 EET

On Sun, Feb 9, 2014 at 7:39 PM, Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I can't make sense of this.
>
> One output of the DAC goes to the power amp (for the main speakers)
> The other output goes to the sub.
>
> So you won't have stereo. In that case, just send the mono signal
> (L+R) to both channels of the DAC. If you don't do that, you'll
> just be listening to one channel. And then I really wonder why
> you bother about the bass - you'll be missing the entire second
> channel anyway.

I should have said, "One *stereo* output of the DAC..."

I overloaded and loosely used the term "output" in my original
description. What I meant was, the DAC has two *stereo* outputs. In
other words, four total conductors (two "L" outputs and two "R"
outputs).

I intend for one stereo output pair to go to the power amp.

That leaves another stereo pair left for the sub. But that stereo
output pair for the sub requires two conductors, and I only have one
(a single coax run).

> And why do you use *coax* cable between the DAC and the sub ?
> A normal screened cable will do...

That's the way the house was built. Pulling more wire is of course
another option, but not one I'm willing to entertain. :)

> If you're a bit handy with a soldering iron, all it takes to
> mix the DAC outputs to mono would be two resistors and some
> short pieces of wire and connectors.

That's not out of the question, but I just wanted to see if I could
maybe hack it at the software level first.