Re: [LAU] On the fly bass downmixing to mono (mpd or alsa)?

From: Joe Hartley <jh@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Feb 10 2014 - 18:52:09 EET

On Mon, 10 Feb 2014 09:49:05 -0600
Matt Garman <matthew.garman@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I overloaded and loosely used the term "output" in my original
> description. What I meant was, the DAC has two *stereo* outputs. In
> other words, four total conductors (two "L" outputs and two "R"
> outputs).

This becomes a matter of a simple Y-adapter to combine the two outputs
into one. Don't worry at all about filtering out the signals at the
server end, the subwoofer will have a low-pass filter that will cut out
anything above a certain frequency anyway. On some, the frequency of
the low-pass filter is adjustable.

I believe you're adding a lot of needless complexity to this project.
How bass frequencies are panned is irrelevent, as a simple Y adapter solves
that. Filtering at the server is irrelevant, since the subwoofer contains
a low-pass filter. It's all about getting the signal to the sub using the
available coax run, and if it's a standard 75 ohm cable, you should be fine
as long as you get the right adapters and make sure they're securely fitted
at each end. You could also put new adapters on the cables, as there are
compression RCA connectors but that may require additional know-how.