[LAU] Cutting vorbis files and resetting their times?

From: Ken Restivo <ken@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 21 2014 - 00:22:45 EET

I have a feeling I've asked this before, but I don't remember if there ever was an answer.

I'm trying to do the following:

1) Cut an Ogg Vorbis file into chunks
2) Reset the start time of each chunk back to zero, and have its end time be the end time of the clip from zero.

Thing #1 is very easy; oggz-chop does the job well.

But thing #2 seems un-possible due to perhaps some design flaw in vorbis?

The start times of vorbis files cut up with oggz-chop or similar tools is broken: it shows a start time of whatever was the time of the clip in the original file. This causes certain players (including Airtime) to lose control of their bladder: they either refuse to play the file or play silence for X number of hours until the start time of the clip.

Yeah yeah, I know, I could just convert the file to WAV, then re-encode it. But... I do not want to do that. First of all, it reduces the quality. Secondly, there's something just upsetting my OCD nature, about not being able to do this without re-encoding.

Any clues? I don't mind writing some C (or whatever) and wading through docs, if I had some expert advice on how to approach the problem (or at least confirmation that it is indeed possible). It's almost like I'd have to have something that reads the blocks one by one, then calculates the new time, and writes the block out with the new time? Is that a sensible way to do it?

-ken
_______________________________________________
Linux-audio-user mailing list
Linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/listinfo/linux-audio-user
Received on Fri Feb 21 04:15:03 2014

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.1.8 : Fri Feb 21 2014 - 04:15:03 EET