Re: [LAU] Cutting vorbis files and resetting their times?

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Feb 21 2014 - 11:42:33 EET

On 02/20/2014 11:22 PM, Ken Restivo wrote:

> 1) Cut an Ogg Vorbis file into chunks 2) Reset the start time of each
> chunk back to zero, and have its end time be the end time of the clip
> from zero.
<snip>
> Yeah yeah, I know, I could just convert the file to WAV, then
> re-encode it. But... I do not want to do that. First of all, it
> reduces the quality.

i may be wrong, but i'd say the quality loss is pretty much negligible,
as long as you use the same decoder and quality settings for re-encoding.

a few years ago, i experimented with gradual degradation of repeatedly
encoded and re-encoded files for artistic purposes (using an mp3 codec),
and the amount of "degradation" was disappointing, to say the least...

i guess what happens is the psychoacoustic model removes information,
when you decode, the new wav has all those simplifications in it, and
the next encoder down the line has nothing left to do.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487