Re: [LAU] Music Editors for Blind Users?

From: Joel Roth <joelz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 02 2014 - 08:51:15 EET

Aiyumi Moriya wrote:
> Hi!

Hi Aiyumi,

> A visually impaired Linux user here. I recently came across this great
> thread[1] and decided to write this message. My goal is a little
> different from the original topic author (generating MIDI via code VS.
> recording via a keyboard) so I decided to start a new discussion.
> Here's my situation (warning: very long post!):

> I'm trying to create some kind of audio setup for quite some time
> (since around 2010)... but:
> * I never got JACK to really work.

JACK is pretty useful. You may be able to configure
/etc/asoundrc or $HOME/.asoundrc so that ALSA I/O is routed
to JACK[1].

> While my dream DAW doesn't come true, does anyone know a command line
> way to record MIDI while simultaneously playing an audio file and
> keeping both in sync (even if it involves JACK)?

Nama[2] is a command-line application that uses Ecasound for
recording and editing audio. Although it is currently
oriented toward audio, Nama can send commands to a midish
process, and has been used with midish and a2jmidi[3] for
combined audio/MIDI recording under JACK.

A simple hack for starting audio and MIDI in sync was to put
midish and ecasound commands in the same line:

nama> midish-command r; start # For midish, "r" means "record"

I expect we'll eventually add in a MidiTrack class that
would handle MIDI recording and playback. For now, you
would have to issue all the midish commands yourself.

Joel

> Well, that's it. Sorry for the overly long post. Thanks for your time!

1. http://jackaudio.org/routing_alsa
2. https://freeshell.de/~bolangi/cgi1/nama.cgi/00home.html
   http://github.com/bolangi/nama
3. http://home.gna.org/a2jmidid/README
   The need for this appears to be partially if not fully
   obsoleted by the latest jack1: http://comments.gmane.org/gmane.comp.audio.jackit/27914

--
Joel Roth