Re: [LAU] Music Editors for Blind Users?

From: Aiyumi Moriya <aiyumi.br@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Mar 04 2014 - 01:48:54 EET

> Nama is a DAW with good audio support and limited MIDI support. It's based
> on Ecasound and Midish. It can be remote controlled with a USB footswitch, a
> piece of gaming equipment. One blind guy on the Nama mailinglist uses it to
> great effect. Nama can be synchronised to MIDI with a little script I
> inherited as well.

I hadn't tried Nama because Ecasound was already meeting my non-MIDI
needs. Before this discussion, I didn't know that Nama was integrated
with Midish. Now that I know, I'll give it a try.

> Midish connects easily to ALSA sequencer ports. If you're still interested,
> I can pass a file of convenience commands that I've been working on.

Oh, please :D.

> [...] There are commandline
> patchbays as well like esjit or jackctl.py and others. Despite their names,
> most can also handle ALSA sequencer MIDI ports too.

I didn't know of these. I'll check them out.

> Hi,
>
> as the author of the (unfinished) teqqer I have to add that recording
> MIDI is definitely on the agenda for the future.

Really? That's great!

> [...] I do not plan to support recording of audio though, as
> I don't really know how to represent that in a tracker format. Sure
> one could use a "generic" audio event type and associated track type.
> But I'm not sure on how well that would work.. Input appreciated..

Actually, what I really wanted was MIDI recording (what I thought of
audio was just for playback along with the MIDI tracks), so that'd be
good enough for me. That makes Teqqer a strong candidate for becoming
my MIDI editor of choice :D. Until then, I'll see what I can do with
Nama and Midish.

Once again, thank you everyone!