Re: [LAU] debugging hiss

From: Rustom Mody <rustompmody@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 14 2014 - 17:22:17 EET

On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 7:51 PM, Rustom Mody <rustompmody@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 14, 2014 at 7:37 PM, Lorenzo Sutton
> <lorenzofsutton@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> On 14/03/2014 14:46, Rustom Mody wrote:
>> [...]
>>
>>> For now, I checked with xfce4-mixer.
>>> If I turn down master or front-mic the hiss reduces
>>

>> Is the machine a laptop? In that case the 'front-mic' could be the inbuilt
>> one?
>
> No its a desktop
>
>> Anyhow, mute all mic-related controls it in the _Playback_ tab of the mixer.
>
> Strange thing is in xfce4-mixer there is only a playback tab no
> record/capture tab -- weird!

To remove any variables due to malfunctioning xfce4-mixer, I tried alsamixer

Here is the list of sliders that are under playback and under capture
Note the misspellings and repeats are because I dont know how to see
the name at the bottom in full so I am just showing what I see

Capture has
Front Mic Boos
Line Boost
Capture