Re: [LAU] Midi Filter & Merger

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 24 2014 - 00:09:41 EET

On Sun, 23 Mar 2014, Ede Wolf wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I am wondering, wether there is programm that can merge events from physical
> midiports, preferably based on Channels. Lets say, I want to merge midi in
> ports 1 to 4, but all messages from any of those on channel 1 are merged &
> routed to midi out 1, while those on channel 2 are going to out ports 2 and
> 3.

If you are using jack for routing, then putting two inputs(captures) into
one output (playback) will merge the two streams already. All you need to
do is to filter the streams first. In this case you would take the input
to two filters to separate the channels and filter them however you want
and then put the outputs where you want. Something like qmidiroute should
work just fine.

> I am aware, that a software solution maybe won't have the performance of a
> hardware solution, but then again, I am not aware of any, unless you are
> lucky and run across an old miditemp device.

Any solution is SW, this is digital stream stuff and relatively slow. Any
"hardware" solution is still a small processor in a box. One of my first
hardware projects was a small midi filter using a Z8 (not z80) as the
processor.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net