Re: [LAU] Bitwig 1.0 is out

From: David Olofson <david@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 28 2014 - 10:09:54 EET

On Fri, Mar 28, 2014 at 8:17 AM, Atte <atte@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> On 03/26/2014 01:27 PM, Filipe Coelho wrote:
>
>> Actually, it's 64bit only.
>

> Seems it's time to go 64bit (crunchbang).

Probably... Being able to use more than 2-3 GB RAM is nice. If nothing
else, Linux uses the "unused" RAM as a lightning fast disk cache. :-)

> Are there any drawbacks, issues or considerations vs 32bits?

I've been running 64 bit since the early x86_64 days (Athlon 64 and
late Pentium 4 CPUs), mostly Gentoo. Back then, there were some
applications and the odd library that wouldn't compile to 64 bit, but
I haven't had issues with that for years now. 64 bit was tried and
tested on Linux long before it went "mainstream," so people have had
plenty of time to fix their code.

That said, it's nice if the distro can still run 32 bit code out of
the box (pretty much standard these days...?), as it's not entirely
trivial to set up manually, and one may still run into the odd 32 bit
binary.

--
//David Olofson - Consultant, Developer, Artist, Open Source Advocate
.--- Games, examples, libraries, scripting, sound, music, graphics ---.