[LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

From: rosea.grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 29 2014 - 12:31:53 EET

Hey,

I like to open a discussion about Bitwig and what 'we' (users, but
mostly developers) can learn from it.

I worked just about 30min with Bitwig so far. Just a few thoughts.

What is nice to notice is that the actions you try to do as a user is
possible pretty often. They seems to know which actions
computermusicians tend to perform and they make that possible in an easy
way.

Automation is very smooth it seems.

It's also a nice feeling that you work with a finished product, good
chance you can make and finish the project you've in mind.

It's handy that it comes with a bunch of samples, but why can't we make
a sample pack and make that easy to install on Linux and add it
(automatically) to let's say Qtractor?

The sound quality of the included instruments seems to be ok, but I
doubt whether it is comparable to stuff like AMS/Ingen, zynaddsubfx,
pianoteq.

Making a good song is still hard, also in a sophisticated application
like Bitwig.

For very advanced features you probably need Bitwig, but the tools on
Linux aren't bad I think. I'm asking myself how big the gap is. To me it
looks like the gap itself is not that big, but the last 10% of finishing
and polishing an app, makes a huge difference for the end user. The
Linuxaudio Floss tools lacks that finishing touch, completeness and
level of integration pretty often (which is logical if you look at the
manpower).

Regards,
\r