Re: [LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

From: Ivan Tarozzi <itarozzi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 29 2014 - 15:15:21 EET

On 29 marzo 2014 12:25:51 CET, Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>On Sat, March 29, 2014 9:31 pm, rosea.grammostola wrote:
>>
>> It's handy that it comes with a bunch of samples, but why can't we
>make
>> a sample pack and make that easy to install on Linux and add it
>> (automatically) to let's say Qtractor?
>>

>Sample packs take time to create and most people who can be bothered
>want
>to sell their efforts.* There is nothing to stop us from collectively
>building a complete sample pack and hosting it online. The cost of the
>server is aroundE50/month which gets 20TB of bandwidth.
>
>I am working on such a solution but other things keep getting in the
>way.
>If I had more time/money then I could probably have it done in about
>160
>hours. At this rate I might get it finished by the end of the year.
>

>* Conveniently ignoring CCMixter and Freesound as an option of course.
>

>--
>Patrick Shirkey
>Boost Hardware Ltd

Instead of include samples in a frees software what about use existing open collections like the mentioned ccmixter (or others) integrating them via api?

Solution1 : use web collections via api directly from the music application
Solution 2 : create a gateway application that permits to collect, rate, organize my preferred tracks/loops (eventually from several sites) and a standard interface to be used by all other musci software

Ivan