Re: [LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Mar 29 2014 - 16:19:34 EET

On Sun, March 30, 2014 12:15 am, Ivan Tarozzi wrote:
> On 29 marzo 2014 12:25:51 CET, Patrick Shirkey
> <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>>
>>On Sat, March 29, 2014 9:31 pm, rosea.grammostola wrote:
>>>
>>> It's handy that it comes with a bunch of samples, but why can't we
>>make
>>> a sample pack and make that easy to install on Linux and add it
>>> (automatically) to let's say Qtractor?
>>>

>>Sample packs take time to create and most people who can be bothered
>>want
>>to sell their efforts.* There is nothing to stop us from collectively
>>building a complete sample pack and hosting it online. The cost of the
>>server is aroundE50/month which gets 20TB of bandwidth.
>>
>>I am working on such a solution but other things keep getting in the
>>way.
>>If I had more time/money then I could probably have it done in about
>>160
>>hours. At this rate I might get it finished by the end of the year.
>>

>>* Conveniently ignoring CCMixter and Freesound as an option of course.
>>

>>--
>>Patrick Shirkey
>>Boost Hardware Ltd
>
> Instead of include samples in a frees software what about use existing
> open collections like the mentioned ccmixter (or others) integrating them
> via api?
>
> Solution1 : use web collections via api directly from the music
> application
> Solution 2 : create a gateway application that permits to collect, rate,
> organize my preferred tracks/loops (eventually from several sites) and a
> standard interface to be used by all other musci software

My direction is slightly different. I'm thinking of complete midi
instrument packs prepackaged (and tested) for the different open source
instrument players that can be downloaded directly in app via a public API
or individually via a web interface.

I might also combine it with other open source multimedia packaging to
provide a "one-stop-shop" for all open source multimedia content. Other
sites already do similar things in the 3d multimedia/game community but
they are also community driven and a bit of a mess so a consolidated
system might be useful for some people who participate in those
communities too.

The site/server/bandwidth might be paid for with advertising or donations
but the bandwidth requirements will get expensive quickly so I might have
to charge for complete packages. Of course everything would be cc -
licensed and of professional quality which means 48khz flac. I'm sure
Monty would disagree with that last item so I might also include ogg
vorbis too.

Integrating with cc-mixter, freesound, blender, etc... is also a good
idea. Basically a meta site for all open source multimedia production
content with an open public API funded by donations, e-commerce or
advertising.

I'm sure some of the proprietary folks are getting nervous about that idea
though so lets see if they offer me any money to find something else to do
first.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd