Re: [LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

From: Robin Gareus <robin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 30 2014 - 16:47:58 EEST

Please excuse this somewhat off-topic rant,

On 03/30/2014 01:00 PM, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> We could use Linux even for professional work,

There are many *do* use Linux for professional audio work and A/V
post-production.
Ever heard of Pixar? It's also not uncommon in various huge post-prod
houses, heck even the NASA control center uses Ardour [1]. They're
certainly not hobbyists nor amateurs. Then there's the Miraverse [2] and
the list goes on and on. Some vendors use embedded linux inside
instruments. Just because there's no Linux on the label does not mean
it's not used. Opening the field a bit more to GNU/Linux Multimedia:
blender.org is also doing a fanatic job.

There are likely more non-professional (not making a living with) users
of Linux Audio but that does not imply that Linux Audio is not
professional or can only be used by some elite for professional work.

> but it definitively is more time consuming to use

Don't confuse setup with use.

The big strength of Linux is the possibility to customize it. You can
tailor it for a given workflow which indeed requires investing
(time|money). But once it is set up, it can be very efficient to *use*.

I think it's not a professional vs hobby distinction but rather style
(and requirements) dependent.

> Updating a Linux DAW and keeping it stable is another issue.

You just don't. There's no need for any casual musician to do that. Just
like no few musician update the firmware of his/her Yamaha keyboard and
most guitarists have a roadie to replace the strings of their guitars
and tune them...
Tweaking a distro today is no different than a 70's guitarist replacing
the pickups of his guitar or changing the tubes or soldering some
wah-pedal tweaks.
It's also not Linux specific: getting ASIO to work, installing re-wire
or whatnot on other OSses is similar.

If you're not interested in this, just use one of the excellent
ready-to-run Linux-Studio distribution and be done with it.

2c,
robin

[1] http://richwielgosz.com/2011/06/nasa-and-jpl-use-the-ardour-daw.html
[2] http://manifoldrecording.com/studio/control-room.php