Re: [LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Mar 30 2014 - 17:05:40 EEST

Hi Robin :)

Pixar makes audio productions using Linux? The NASA is using Ardour to
record communication, not to produce MIDI/hard disk recording music ;).

Replacing a pickup for your Stratocaster doesn't need that much knowhow
as setting up a Linux DAW and btw. if I wouldn't set up the Linux DAW by
myself, but use a Linux audio distro, Linux audio wouldn't work on my
machine. Not upgrading a Linux audio DAW is stupid, when you're missing
features new versions of software will provide, not to mention that for
good reasons I prefer Arch over Debian. I'm using both, but the rolling
release Arch is much more stable, than Debian, since for audio Debian
stable IMHO is a no-go you need to mix stable, testing and unstable.

YMMV, but you can't ignore that _all_ famous and even most hobby studios
don't use Linux, but they use proprietary Apple or Windows solutions
instead. A college and some other institutions, homerecording folks,
have some luxury the averaged musician, engineer who needs to make a
living from audio production, doesn't have.

2 Cents,
Ralf