Re: [LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 31 2014 - 18:40:11 EEST

On 03/31/2014 04:56 PM, Alexandre Prokoudine wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 6:42 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
>
>>> Don't you see what's wrong with this picture?
>>
>> yes, using proprietary DAWs dumbs users down.
>
> I'm sorry, but I heard so few professionally composed and mixed pieces
> done with Linux audio software that I can't possibly imagine where
> this notion of intellectual superiority comes from.

the tools have nothing to do with the artistic quality of the outcome.
(even though a large part of the music industry works by making people
believe just that). all they can do is let you arrive at a good result
more quickly or more easily, or inspire you to try new things. the
problem with the latter is that many people will get inspired in pretty
similar ways, and the result of that you can hear on the radio.

i have worked on quite a few proprietary DAWs, and i still can't believe
the fiery hoops they make me jump through.

just this week i've had to decide to do a short film sound do-over on
$PROPRIETARY_TOOL, because i can't import the EDL into ardour (yet), and
manually syncing 75 clips is not an option (no timecode on location,
unfortunately, and now all i have is an OMF file). i thought, hey, let's
import the session and bounce it out with all regions expanded, so i can
finish the job on ardour. alas, $PT decides to bail out halfway through
the export with a totally unhelpful error message. sigh. now i'm stuck
with it.

latest brickwall i ran into is that $PT (after taking 10 years to
support native audio hardware at all) has this totally arbitrary limit
of 32 channels of simultaneous native recording. you need more? buy the
box. oh, you already have far superiour audio hardware and the studio is
running dante? too bad. buy the box, and buy a dante bridge.
right, that's the company which has been too stupid to get their
accounting done properly for more than two years and got kicked out of
NASDAQ for that. now that's two epic facepalms for the product that is
responsible for most of the really professional content out there,
whatever that means.

which, to conclude this little rant, makes it very hard for me indeed to
avoid that fuzzy feeling of intellectual superiority, even though i
agree it is a bad habit.

--
Jörn Nettingsmeier
Lortzingstr. 11, 45128 Essen, Tel. +49 177 7937487