Re: [LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

From: Philipp Überbacher <murks@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Mar 31 2014 - 19:25:20 EEST

On Mon, 31 Mar 2014 18:09:23 +0200
David Olofson <david@olofson.net> wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 31, 2014 at 5:55 PM, Philipp Überbacher
> <murks@tuxfamily.org> wrote: [...]
> >> "Someone who makes pleasant sounds in an organized fashion, using
> >> basically anything."
> >
> > Now that's interesting. Why exactly does it need to be pleasant
> > sound, and what do you mean by that? Pleasant to whom?
>
> Good point. Some music definitely isn't meant to sound pleasant to
> anyone! Many examples of that in movie and video game sound tracks.

I simply wanted to include noise musicians ;)
It's fascinating to me to hear sounds and not being able to tell how
they were produced and consequently being unable to reproduce it. It's
also fascinating that this sort of music, being 'outside' of
conventional musical systems is also neither 'right' nor 'wrong', you
can just like or dislike it. As reference, I'm thinking about this sort
of stuff I have the music of Maurizio Bianchi in mind, not some
watered-down stuff like power noise, noise rock or stuff like that.
https://archive.org/details/mir017

> > I think my definition would be even more general: "Someone who makes
> > sound on purpose."
> > Maybe an even more extreme definition is needed: "Someone who makes
> > sound."
>
> Well, it depends on the motivation for coming up with a definition in
> the first place. It could be as general as "anyone who makes sound,
> even accidentally" or as specific as "someone who makes commercially
> viable music in the currently most popular genre."
>
> If we try to come up with a definition only for the sake of having a
> definition, I'm afraid all we get is infinite recursion. ;-)

I don't see that infinite recursion here. If I make one definition for
the sake of having a definition I can stop right there, although I
could also go on indefinitely, which I guess is what you meant :>.

With the two definitions above I had woodpeckers and various other birds
in mind. I also find the sounds my dishes sometimes make when they slide
into the sink, under water and hit the wall of the sink rather
interesting.

Regards,
Philipp