Re: [LAU] music from image metadata

From: Thomas Mayer <thomas@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 01 2014 - 01:49:08 EEST

Hi,

On 01.04.2014 00:43, Thomas Mayer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 31.03.2014 11:11, Patrick Shirkey wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Can anyone think of a way to automate the creation of a music track from
>> the metadata embedded in an image track?
>
> I haven't worked with metadata yet, but did some experiments in
> sonification. Here is what I would do:
>
> Analyse the format of EXIF data. What is actually encoded? What is
> varying from image to image, camera to camera? Try to get a fair sample
> size to see the data.
>
> Try to convert the data to numbers, that can be interpreted as notes,
> frequency, duration, volume. If not all parameters can be set, then use
> some sane defaults.

Some more information:
Have a look at ExifTool to get the data:
http://petapixel.com/2012/05/25/hack-your-exif-data-from-the-command-line-five-fun-uses-for-exiftool/
And here are some examples for ExifTool usage:
http://petapixel.com/2012/05/25/hack-your-exif-data-from-the-command-line-five-fun-uses-for-exiftool/

Have fun,
Thomas

--
"As long as people kept worrying that the machines were taking over,
they wouldn't notice what was really happening. Which was that the