Re: [LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

From: Hartmut Noack <zettberlin@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 02 2014 - 09:59:03 EEST

Am 01.04.2014 23:49, schrieb Alexandre Prokoudine:
> On Wed, Apr 2, 2014 at 1:09 AM, Hartmut Noack wrote:
>
>>> MIDI wasn't made to play Ornette Coleman compositions.
>>
>> That is one of the reasons, the Bitwig-devs hate MIDI from the heart
>> and have replaced it internally with a format based on OSC. In fact,
>> Bitwig is not even a real MIDI-sequencer, it is a OSC-sequencer that
>> can translate incoming MIDI and send/store it.
>
> Out of professional curiosity, where does one find out more of these
> intimate details? :)

Try to ask them ;-)

In the interview last year the devs told me at length, that they are
eager to replace MIDI with something better and described OSC as the
basis of their approach to achieve that but they where not that specific
*how* they do it.
In the interface you can see, that they try to avoid the term "MIDI",
you create an "Instrument Track" and you connect "Controllers", only at
the farest side of the system, where your connected keyboard lives, a
list offers a thing that is called "Generic MIDI-keyboard", (and it does
not work, btw)...

Bitwig has a API for writing controller interfaces in some Java Script
dialect. In the interview I got the impression, that this is used to
connect OSC-gear, now I think, that they use such "translators" for
MIDI-keyboards also, since I hear, that some people use popular
MIDI-Keyboards/controllers with good results, while I do not get a
single note from my puny Behringer UMX.... guess, there is no
interface-preset for this one....

BTW: I got version 1.0.5 today, still no change regarding the Keyboard.

best regards

HZN