Re: [LAU] Album recording layout...

From: Ben Bell <bjb-linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 04 2014 - 00:46:22 EEST

On Thu, Apr 03, 2014 at 11:47:57AM -0700, Russell Hanaghan wrote:
> Looking for input on how you lay out your recorded material for an album in
> Ardour / Mixbus. Eg; 1 song per session? All tunes in same session?

In a nutshell, I go with separate projects for each song and mix down with
no fades, trimming or mastering, then import (link, not copy) those individual
tracks into separate project for arranging into an album.

This may be a bit of an overkill for some people, but the music I tend to
record is very much intended to be presented as a full album with segues
and a flow, so making too many decisions at song mixdown is too limiting.

Conversely, there's too many parts and too much complexity to have the
entire album in a single project. In fact, for the next album (when I
finally finish this one), I'm thinking of going one step further and, when
I've finished composing and recording, stem-exporting all the parts into
a fresh project for mixing from scratch to get a bit more perspective on
it.

bjb