Re: [LAU] Bitwig: what we can learn from it

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Apr 05 2014 - 21:07:50 EEST

On Sat, 5 Apr 2014, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> As already replied earlier, meta-packages, resp. packages that include
> several effects are a PITA for this kind of software. Each effect should
> get it's own package.

A developer who is doing packaging is not coding/maintaining. Ardour has
delt with this by incluing a lot of extra stuff in their package and
making it install "anywhere". Two packages does Linux (32 and 64). I
expect it was still a lot of work just to do packaging... my very limited
experience with packaging has been that it has taken pretty much as much
of my time energy and resources to package as to do what was in the
package... and it was only one kind of package for one version of distro.
There are some people who just package other people's SW. To make the most
of their time it is not unusual to make one package with more than one
sub-package in it. There are not enough people who enjoy or are willing to
do packaging to change this reality.

Personally, I am getting to the point where I want to spend my time on
what is important to me, making music.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net