Re: [LAU] Advice needed: hardware vendors

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 09 2014 - 11:22:25 EEST

On Wed, April 9, 2014 11:43 am, Len Ovens wrote:

>> Almost 2 yrs ago I got a custom configured machine from
>> http://www.endpcnoise.com/ that's been running very nicely.
>> They installed Ubuntu on it.
>
> Those all look nice. Which video card did you use? They look to sell all
> ATI video cards and don't mention what the "onboard video" interface is.
> How well does it (the video) work with Linux?
>
> Video is something I am trying to grasp as to what my needs are. The
> reality is that I don't need huge video performance. I don't do gaming, I
> do browsing and music.

If you don't want the extra power of the cuda cores on a dedicated highend
GPU from NVidia or ATI which can give impressive performance gains for
doing things like transcoding then you can live very comfortably with a
more energy conscious intel gpu onboard and the open source drivers.

I can run 1080p with most of the opengl API supported with an onboard
hd4000 equivalent

https://01.org/linuxgraphics/

- Also make sure to check if the BIOS supports so called "legacy BIOS"
unless you are comfortable having to add a fat32 partition to install the
UEFI rootkit and spyware on your machine to give the NSA direct access to
your backdoor. Some people care about that kind of thing.

--
Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd