Re: [LAU] hardware - Intel CPUs

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 15 2014 - 16:17:03 EEST

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014, James Mckernon wrote:

> On Mon, Apr 14, 2014 at 2:06 AM, Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> I would realy like to stay away from having to use a USB or FW
> audio IF. In fact I would like to be able to continue to use my
> delta 66 for as long as I can before I spend more money :)  The
>
> Thanks for the useful info in your post. Just to be clear on this part: are
> you saying you don't want to switch to USB/FW solely because you want to
> keep using your delta 66, or because you have some definite preference for
> PCIe over USB/FW devices? If the latter, I wonder why?

USB in audio is limited. Getting clear USB ports interupt wise is not
easy. Audio can not be on a hub or share it's usb with anything else, but
many new MB have no mouse or kb port so the USB is already being used for
that much. The real reason though, is latency. With the pci the latency
can be 1/4 what it can be in USB or FW. That is the lowest seeting jack
for USB or FW is 64/2, but I can run the d66 at 16/2 with no problem on a
well tuned system. This does make a difference for live work. I know that
64/2 seems like very good latency (it is) but remember that the card then
adds another ms in each direction as well as the stage distances on top of
that. That is the time it takes the sound to reach my ear after going
through the computer as a processor and then through the air to my ear.
Maybe that is still not worth worrying about... but even with 30 feet of
cord and no digital delay, I can hear the delay from my playing to the
sound reaching my ear.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net