Re: [LAU] hardware - Intel CPUs

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Apr 16 2014 - 16:17:39 EEST

On Tue, 15 Apr 2014, david wrote:

> Interesting. What is the difference between speed of sound in air and the
> speed of electricity through a cable?

I was talking about through air. I can only play as fast as I can hear and
at thirty feet or so from the sound source, my instrument sounds delayed
from the rest of the band because I hear their sound that much later and
play my part that much later. I don't normally play at that distance, but
ten feet is pretty standard.

> I think the lowest I've had my UCA-202 (USB 1.1) card work at was around
> ~3msec latency (on a USB2 port) with a Debian RT kernel just fooling around
> (no other RT optimizations on this 2.4GHz i7 laptop). I've had Yoshimi
> problems when latency gets too low on my stock kernel. And when I first
> tried Zyn, it had problems at much higher latencies than Yoshimi did at the
> time.

Is that measured round trip? Or one way through the jack part? What sample
rate? (I'm using 48k) I can get qjackctl so it says I have .6ms latency.
But I think that is one way, 1.2ms ... then add ~1 ms each way just to get
through the sound card monitor mixing and maybe a bit more and I have
already three and a half ms. Then I am some distance away from my monitor
too. Perhaps with a newer faster CPU I could run at 96k and work with a FW
device and get the same results. USB is very handy for many things but for
sound it takes some playing around to get a clean low latency set up.

However, it looks like I can still get lots of MB with PCI slots in them.
I will probaly do that. Hopefully with three PCI slots I can get one that
is irq clean.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net