Re: [LAU] M-Audio Fast Track Pro: unreliable, distorted recording

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Apr 18 2014 - 09:22:43 EEST

On 04/17/2014 03:04 PM, Morten H wrote:
> david-602 wrote
>> Have you eliminated the possibility of intermittent hardware issues with
>> the FTP? The symptoms suggest that to me.
>
> I'm not sure what you mean. If you are suggesting that my FTP may be
> defective, that is of course a possibility. But firstly the issues I'm
> having correspond with the issues the original poster had, and secondly it
> works perfectly in windows with the m-audio driver.
>
> These two things put together suggest it is not a hardware problem with my
> FTP... At least they do to me :-)
>
> Morten

Well, intermittent means to me that it's just good enough that it works
most of the time, or fails only under special conditions. But sounds
like your card's probably OK. (Or there are things the Windows driver
does with the hardware that the Linux driver doesn't - control register
settings, work around for known-to-vendor-but-not-necessarily-documented
quirk, like "Don't set bit 7 of this register".)

Not that you have this problem, but I discovered that my powered
external USB2 hub induces noise when my USB sound card runs through it.
No noise at all when the card is connected directly. Probably my hub (a
cheap one) has grounding issues.

--
David W. Jones
gnome@email-addr-hidden