[LAU] Two songs made in Qtractor : Takkadum & Kleb Station

From: Philippe Coatmeur <philcm@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 20 2014 - 13:35:32 EEST

Hi there

Takkadum <http://opensimo.org/play/?a=Azer0,Counternatures&s=1> was made
mid 2011 right before Automation was available, around 0.4.something, I
guess

18 tracks : 10 MIDI tracks and 8 audio ones (using flac containers) ;

  * One 3 channels bus to sidechain-compress the 303-style bass (nekobee
    <http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/196.206.69.128>) with the kick (a
    free 808 Sound font played by fluidsynth) using SC3
    <http://plugin.org.uk/ladspa-swh/docs/ladspa-swh.html#tth_sEc2.90>
  * the other cheap DR55 Beat elements are made with Rudolf 556
    <http://ll-plugins.nongnu.org/lv2/rudolf556.html>
  * A Hexter <http://dssi.sourceforge.net/hexter.html> synth is doubling
    the bass in the subs
  * The organ is a Calf <http://calf.sourceforge.net/> organ
  * The Lead synth is a Calf <http://calf.sourceforge.net/> Monosynth
  * The guitar is a g10 double coil Ibanez in a focusrite preamp
  * The microphone is a chinese Neumann knockoff in a focusrite preamp
  * The girl asking "what" ? in the background is called Fatima-Zohra
  * Everybody is EQ'd with LADSPA C* 10 bands Equalizer from CAPS
  * Everybody is comp'd with Calf compressor DSSI
  * There is a LADSPA "Fast lookahead limiter" on the master out bus
  * The final bounce, a "normalize" and a quick and dirty fade out are
    made in Audacity

Kleb Station <http://opensimo.org/play/?a=Azer0,Counternatures&s=7>
(summer 2011 too) uses pretty much the same setup
<http://www.rncbc.org/drupal/node/307> with more instruments
<http://linuxfr.org/users/philippemc/journaux/kleb-station-une-chanson-100-libre>
plugged in, a little automation (it was just out, and already worked
really good) and sidechain-ducked bass ; I play on all the tracks.

BTW the CMS <http://opensimo.org/play/> linked is a personal
developpement, that automatically builds album pages by reading the tags
(and optional - cover & stuff - images). It's yours if you want it.

I used GNU / Linux to make music since around the time Jack was
introduced. I spent coutless nights teaching myself how to use just
about every single system available, and I always came back to Qtractor.
Everything makes sense in Qtractor. And when it seems that it doesn't, a
quick message on Rui Nuno's blog and you're out of the hole.

The development is steady, focusing only on the core of the matter, and
the result is a solid system, usable right now.

Qtractor does not even try to be /everything/, it wants to be useful in
the middle of the huge Linux audio production ecosystem, talking nice to
everybody, implementing new techs & protocols silently, never breaking
what's worked so far, bringing it all together. For me, it's the
standard against witch I can compare everything else.

Philippe (xaccrocheur)

--
Philippe Coatmeur
* http://opensimo.org/adamweb/