[LAU] A "silence signal"?

From: Jonathan E Brickman <jeb@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Apr 20 2014 - 23:01:37 EEST

Is there such a thing as a "silence signal" in Jack? In the real world obviously not, silence is the absence of sound pressure, but in Jack shouldn't it be possible to fill the channel with 48 kHz (or whatever) of zeroes? And more importantly, does anyone have an easy way to do this??? (Or is it already being done?) I am hearing some faint things in my output that I cannot explain, and a 'silence generator' (if the concept in fact makes sense) would help me figure this out.

--
Jonathan E. Brickman
Ponderworthy Music | jeb@email-addr-hidden<mailto:jeb@email-addr-hidden> | (785)233-9977 | http://ponderworthy.com