Re: [LAU] MIDI hardware with Linux

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 22 2014 - 02:09:36 EEST

On Mon, 21 Apr 2014, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

> On 21 April 2014 at 2:30, <gnome@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Did you try a USB<>MIDI connector?

> Not yet. I don't own one. If a USB<>MIDI device is the correct way
> to get MIDI hardware communication to work, then I'll get such a unit.
> But, I don't want to buy one for troubleshooting, if it's not needed.
> Is it generally agreed that a USB<>MIDI unit is needed?

Not always -- I now have a RME Multiface II, and the built in Midi port
on that works fine in Alsa and Jack Midi. However, before that, I had a
Delta 1010, and I was never able to get the built in Midi port to pass
data uncorrupted. Others may not have had the same experience, but at
least for me, I found that while the Delta 1010 worked fine for audio,
the Midi function seems to be broken (driver bug?).

I also have an Edirol 3in/3out USB Midi interface that works great. So
in summary, my experiences:

Compliant USB interfaces: OK
RME Multiface II: OK
Delta 1010: Midi doesn't work in Linux

> The last time I did this I used a Soundblaster card which had a
> game/MIDI port and that worked fine to communicate over MIDI. Now I
> have a Delta 1010 with MIDI ports. But, that's the only MIDI
> connected within my computer. I haven't been able to get that to work
> for me. So far, nobody suggested that this shouldn't work, nor how to
> get it to work, if it's supposed to work.

I've tried SoundBlaster Midi too, and I can say it works in just about
any OS...though obviously they don't make very good recording cards.