Re: [LAU] MIDI hardware with Linux

From: Kevin Cosgrove <kevinc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 22 2014 - 06:28:09 EEST

On 21 April 2014 at 16:35, rob <rob@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 21/04/14 16:09, Kevin Cosgrove wrote:

> >> Did you try a USB<>MIDI connector?
> >
> > Not yet. I don't own one. If a USB<>MIDI device is the correct
> > way to get MIDI hardware communication to work, then I'll get
> > such a unit. But, I don't want to buy one for troubleshooting,
> > if it's not needed. Is it generally agreed that a USB<>MIDI unit
> > is needed?
> >
> > The last time I did this I used a Soundblaster card which had a
> > game/MIDI port and that worked fine to communicate over MIDI.
> > Now I have a Delta 1010 with MIDI ports. But, that's the only
> > MIDI connected within my computer. I haven't been able to
> > get that to work for me. So far, nobody suggested that this
> > shouldn't work, nor how to get it to work, if it's supposed to
> > work.
> >
> > Thanks...
> >
> > --
> > Kevin
> >

> amidi -l ?

Dir Device Name
IO hw:1,0 M Audio Delta 1010 MIDI
IO hw:3,0,0 BCF2000 MIDI 1
IO hw:3,0,1 BCF2000 MIDI 2

This is with my Delta 1010 turned on, but nothing connected to
its MIDI ports. I also have my BCF2000 on, and MIDI cables
running between it and my Mackie MCU. BCF MIDI out/thru to MCU
in, and BCF in to MCU out. In this configuration the MCU can
control Ardour. But, Ardour can not control the MCU.

This is running behind ardour

10319 ? SLsl 0:04 /bin/jackd -dalsa -r48000 -p1024 -n2 -D -Chw:1 -Phw:1
10333 pts/5 SLl 0:02 a2jmidid -e

At this point I'm thinking

- MIDI ports on the Delta 1010 don't work as I would expect.
  Brent also said this about his 1010.
- The BCF2000 functions as a unidirectional MIDI host, like
  a partial USB<>MIDI translator.
- A real USB<>MIDI translator, e.g. Midisport NxN should help.

I'll report back after my next steps.

Thanks....

--
Kevin