[LAU] Audio measurement at LAC 2014

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Apr 29 2014 - 16:59:47 EEST

LAC 2014 wil start in less than 48 hours, with
what looks like a fully charged program of papers,
workshops, installations and concerts.

For those interested in audio measurements, there
will a paper by Robin Gareus about audio metering
(in a production context), and yours truly will
present a workshop about audio measurements (i.e.
the more technical side).

The workshop will start with some essential theory
(no rocket science maths), followed by hands-on
practice.

If you attend the workshop you can bring your laptop
and audio interface [*] and have it calibrated against
a precision RMS meter so you can later use it to
measure other things. Make sure to have jaaa and
jnoisemeter installed in that case. The best audio
interfaces for this sort of thing are those having
fixed or at least exactly repeatable analog gains.

I'll also introduce some python extensions and code
I've been using to measure audio HW and SW. For this
you will need python, numpy, scipy and matplotlib.
I'm using python 3.4, but things should work with
2.7 as well.

See you in Karlsruhe !

[*] Internal audio interfaces are usually not worth
the effort. Also, we'll have an assortment of XLR,
TRS and RCA cables but no 3.5mm jacks !

--
FA