Re: [LAU] LAC - Programme

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Tue Apr 29 2014 - 21:03:40 EEST

On Tue, Apr 29, 2014, at 06:35 PM, Robin Gareus wrote:
> > I'll be travelling by Eurostar to Paris, then TGV. I understand Paris Du Nord
> > is not a very 'nice' place :(
>
> It could be worse, I suppose. It's mostly just crowded, too few
> snackbars etc.
>
> On the upside, the architecture of the building is great

It's interesting to compare with other stations in Europe like the
London ones (note: I'm no expert).

With the existing London stations you can see the progress in complexity
of the roof arches -- King's Cross (1850 ish) has two large spans that
are almost circular sections, Paddington (a few years later) has wider
arches with a more interesting curve, and St Pancras (1868) has a
single, huge and rather sophisticated lightly-pointed span.

The Gare du Nord (early 1860s) has a single span of the size of St
Pancras but with two straight segments rather than a curved arch. It's
as if they had stepped up to the more advanced size, but the curve was
still pending. (The roof structure was made in Britain.) Dramatic
though and the end elevations are good too.

But with all of these historical big-city stations, transferring across
the city is difficult -- there's always a central zone and the stations
are on the perimeter. Same in London, same historically in Berlin (dunno
what the situation there is like now?) and so on. Cities that were
redeveloped after WWII often got central stations (Birmingham, Brussels
etc) but they're not always very attractive either.

I'd much rather be going to LAC by train myself, but I couldn't arrange
the time, so I'm flying.

Chris