Re: [LAU] octaver (plugin) for bass

From: hermann meyer <brummer-@web.de>
Date: Sun Jun 08 2014 - 13:36:17 EEST

Am 08.06.2014 11:49, schrieb Fons Adriaensen:

>> That's true, we could leave that part out, that will spare us 0.2%
>> dsp load.
> You're missing the point. Which is that the frequency info
> *should* be used to decide how to map bins to a new frequency.
>
> Also, it's easy to reduce CPU load by letting the whole thing
> run at a quarter of the system sample rate. Which means that
> for one octave down everything above 3 kHz is gone. But I guess
> CPU load was not the only reason for doing that.
>
> Ciao,

Without downsampling it use (well, 4xtimes more then now) 8% dsp load.
Most costs in the original source comes from that used values are not
pre-calculated.
But indeed, the reason for downsampling is that the limited frequency
range makes it sound good, and for guitar/bass 3kHz are far more then
enough when you would add a octave up/down to the original sound.

regards
hermann