[LAU] Embertone Friedlander Violin on Linux - was Re: Recommended near-realistic strings section generator?

From: Aiyumi Moriya <aiyumi.br@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jun 14 2014 - 04:37:50 EEST

>> I have had some luck with Kontact and festige
>
> Really? :D That got my hopes up.
>
> Does the free Kontakt 5 Player also work under Wine? There's this
> violin sample library that I'm interested for quite a while now:
>
> http://embertone.com/instruments/friedlanderviolin.php
>
> It is a solo violin library, but it also has an "ensemble" mode. I
> really liked the sound... But It runs on Kontakt Player. I googled
> about Kontakt 5 Player on Linux/Wine and didn't find anything useful.
> Also, from what I understood from some reading, it seems to use a
> software called Continuata for watermarking and downloading the
> library. I've never heard of it before - I'm a beginner in the area of
> (proprietary) sample libraries -, but from the forum posts I read, it
> seems to require the user to install a "Continuata utility program"
> that downloads and extracts the library. The posts I read were this
> one:
>
> http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=5448245
>
> and the one directly below it.
>
> But I googled about it too, and found a post about someone downloading
> (not specifically this sample library) normally via the browser
> without using the Continuata thing.
>
> http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=376934
>
> Does that mean it isn't required, and only the developers need to use
> it to watermark/upload or something? If it's really required, any idea
> if that works under Wine?
>
> The library is on sale right now, costing $99 USD until June 15th
> (before, it was $110), and I'm seriously considering buying it. I just
> would like some confirmation if it can work under Wine, even if JACK
> doesn't work and I have to use an external hardware recorder to
> capture the speaker outputs or something. :P

Yes, I'm still that desperate after this sample library. I'll trust
the message that got my hopes up, hinting that Kontakt works on Wine.
I decided to take the risk and bought the library. If all else fails,
I can resort to my Windows partition, I guess (though I sincerely hope
I won't need to do that. I really wanted to use this string library,
and really wanted it to be on Linux :D ).

Soon after the purchase, I got an email with the serial code, saying:

> You can begin downloading right away. First, please install the latest
> version of the Continuata Connect Download utility, our high-speed library
> downloader, using the link below.
>
> http://continuata.net/download_app.php
>
> Just click the icon for your OS (PC or Mac - 64-bit OSX only). Once you've
> downloaded and installed the Connect utility, run it and then copy-paste
> your Download Code directly into the download code box, using the Paste
> button.

So, no download links. Using the app is really required... We have to
install the app and paste the serial code into it, which it uses to
identify and retrieve the file.

I downloaded the Continuata Connect app and installed it through Wine.
There was a "couldn't create directory" error at the end of the
installation, but the program seems to run okay. I pasted the serial
code into the program and it began downloading. The first file part
went fine, but from the second part it decided to stop downloading
every now and then, corrupting the file, then starting all over again.
I don't know if that's supposed to be normal, but I don't believe it
to be a Linux or Wine issue.

Although I'm still stuck on the second file part, it seems it has
chances of working, so I'll keep trying. If (no, "when") I get past
the download issue, the next step is trying to install Kontakt Player.

I'll post again when I have more news.

PS: at the end of the email, they say:

> If you can't install for whatever reason, get in touch and we'll get you up
> and running as soon as humanly possible.

I wonder if the "whatever reason" also includes "because I'm trying to
run it on Linux", hahahaha :P. Jokes aside, if it indeed does work on
Wine, letting them know might be a good idea too.