Re: [LAU] Embertone Friedlander Violin on Linux - was Re: Recommended near-realistic strings section generator?

From: Aiyumi Moriya <aiyumi.br@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jun 18 2014 - 04:49:36 EEST

Back to the Embertone library.

Oops. Outdated information. I just realized I had the original price
wrong. I said $110, but that was several months ago. Now it's $120 for
the 16-bit version and $125 for 24-bit.

Anyway, some progress.

A good and a bad news: the good news is that I was able to download
the files. The bad is that (as much as I didn't want to do it), I had
to resort to Windows. I tried on Wine a few more times, but the
download always hung and the file always got corrupted. So, I tried
using the app on Windows to see if there was any difference, planning
to contact support if there wasn't. And sadly, there was... On
Windows, everything downloaded without complaint, no hangs and no file
corruptions. Looks like it was a Wine issue, after all...

That means I got past the download issue, but it would be nice to
figure out why it wasn't working on Wine. I tried again to see if I
discovered something. Strange results. Wine 1.7.12 on Slackware 64-bit
with multilib:

* With Wine set to "Windows XP" in Winecfg, the Connect app opens and
runs, but it's the same problem I said before. The download hangs from
time to time. It even continues when pressing the resume button, but
when the download gets to 100%, it says there was an error and it
restarts from 0%.

* With Wine set to "Windows 7", the program doesn't even start. It
says there was an abnormal error and crashes.

The Continuata site says it's a Java program wrapped in a binary
executable, so it should run on "any" computer (they mean with Windows
or Mac of course :P).

Some googling returned an FAQ from another sample library developer:

http://store.agsoundtrax.com/download-and-installation/

My problem on Wine sounds suspiciously like this question:

""The Connect utility is unable to successfully download files and
shows a "DL Error" or "Install Error" warning.

If you're getting incomplete or corrupted downloads or the utility
displays a "DL Error" or "Install Error" status message to the right
of a file after more than 3 automatic retries, that may be a sign of
router or ISP issues. Try rebooting your modem and router first and
then check to see if your ISP has imposed a bandwidth cap on your
connection. It is becoming more common for ISPs around the world to
limit large file downloads. If you have a monthly bandwidth or data
limit with your ISP and you think you might be close to reaching it,
please check with your ISP before ordering or make sure order the DVD
version of the library."

I don't know if it's my ISP, but I never had any problem with other
downloads before, plus, on Windows the app worked fine (same machine,
same modem, same router, same configuration). Maybe it's indeed a Wine
issue, or a Wine internet connection issue...

I just found other posts hinting that Kontakt can run on Wine and am
more confident now. There's still this download issue though. But as
per the link above, as well as some forum posts by other people having
problems with this app, it looks like the developers usually provide
the manual download links if the customer requests them. It may be
worth contacting Embertone to see if they provide the direct download
links. If so, no need to resort to Windows. There is still hope for us
Linux users :D .

Anyway, I moved the downloaded files to my Linux partition. However,
now I'm struggling with Kontakt Player. Any chance it can work without
JACK+Wineasio? I'm on a multilib 64-bit system but still don't have
32-bit JACK nor Wineasio. Kontakt Player installed fine, but I'm stuck
on the audio setup screen. There's "Wasapi (Shared mode)" as the only
audio driver, status says "stopped", my onboard soundcard appears on
the dropdown list, my MIDI ports get recognized, but no matter what is
done, it complains that I need to set a "valid" audio interface... I
don't know what's happening. Wine plays sounds from other apps just
fine. Can't it work with the default driver, without JACK and Wineasio
(not considering latency or anything yet), or am I missing something
else? By what I got from reading their "Getting Started" guide, I
can't add libraries if I don't get past this screen...