Re: [LAU] Streaming radio and calls from listeners

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Jun 22 2014 - 19:13:27 EEST

On Sun, 22 Jun 2014, Louigi Verona wrote:

> For more than a year I am producing a skeptic-oriented podcast. So far it's
> been an offline venture. We have a nice audio mixer from Yamaha that we are
> recording as one track into Qtractor.

So, it sounds like you have been doing all your mixing outside the
computer then. (just checking)

> However, I am thinking towards live streaming and accepting calls from
> listeners. Is this realistic with Linux? If yes - can anyone suggest how?

Try reading about http://idjc.sourceforge.net/ in particular
http://idjc.sourceforge.net/tutorials_voip.html Though I have also seen
setups with pulse->jack... I have not tried pulse->jack with my new
computer but it required too much CPU on the old single core P4.
(by the way the idjc here is _not_ Idaho Department of Juvenile
Corrections)

Remote content providing that I know has worked:
-teamspeak (oss sound on a second computer <for enough cpu> mixed in an
external mixer)
-mumble
-others as mentioned

Skype likes to play with levels of the sound card... owned by MS so it
likes to be in control... However, lots of people have a skype account,
but only the free part so they can not call a number or a named voip
account. They also can not accept a call from non-skype voip unless you
have a paying account.

With regard to content filtering of live calls, not just from a legal
perspective, but also from what you want your listeners to hear. The
standard method used here when I was in the business years ago was to
delay the whole studio audio about 7 seconds and provide a cut button that
shut off the audio after the delay. It gave some interesting echo effects
when the call in had their radio turned up too high :) The idjc DSP
button could be used for this if you were using that SW... most effects
have a bypass button too.

One thing I would like to try for remote content is to use netjack... Your
master server has to be inet visible though. Which brings a question to
mind... can a jackd server with a net backend also be a netjack master? I
guess the real question is if a netjack master can be tied to a particular
network interface. The idea being that the studio machine with the audio
card is master on the local net. The webserver is a slave on the local
net, but a master to the internet. The other way would be to put a
soundcard in the webserver for timing only and make it master of all. Then
use zita-aj for the real audio card. The problem with the second method is
that the local net would have compressed audio and all machines using
netjack would have the added overhead of the codec.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net