Re: [LAU] howto get pcmcia firewire card working

From: Wayne DePrince Jr. <waynedpj@email-addr-hidden-giro.org>
Date: Thu Jun 26 2014 - 02:37:47 EEST

On mar, 2014-06-24 at 10:47 +0200, Atte wrote:

> Hi
>
> I got a new laptop without firewire. So I bought a delock pcmcia
> firewire card to be able to use my firewire soundcard. Since I couldn't
> see any hardware specs for the cards I looked at before buying, I simply
> went for the cheapest...
>
> I've been working with firewire a lot in the past, but only with build
> in controllers, so I'm not sure if I should do something special to get
> this card going.
>
> I obviously tried plugging it in and starting jack with the firewire
> driver for all available interfaces, but I get these errors:
>
> firewire ERR: FFADO: Error creating virtual device
> Cannot attach audio driver
> JackServer::Open failed with -1
> no message buffer overruns
> Failed to open server
> 10:35:53.707 JACK was stopped with exit status=255.
> 10:35:54.785 Could not connect to JACK server as client. - Overall
> operation failed. - Unable to connect to server. Please check the
> messages window for more info.
> Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
> Cannot connect to server request channel
> jack server is not running or cannot be started
>
> Those look familiar, they are exactly the same as on my desktop pc (that
> works with wirewire) when I don't have the soundcard plugged in.
>
> Of course it might be that the pcmcia card is simply not working under
> linux (I have no other os running, so I have to assume the card is in
> fact working under, say, windows).
>
> But what actions could I take to either get it working or convince
> myself that it's simply not supported?
>
> NB: I run crunchbang linux (=debian wheezy), which were installed prior
> to getting the card. The laptop is a Lenovo x220.
>
> NB2: I couldn't see anything in dmesg after inserting the card and lspci
> is the same with the card attached and detached...
>
> Any pointers appreciated!

i can "atte"st ;) to this card's performance with GNU/Linux, JACK,
Ardour, etc.:

http://www.startech.com/Cards-Adapters/FireWire/2-Port-ExpressCard-1394a-FireWire-Laptop-Adapter-Card~EC13942A2

only problem is the previously mentioned problem with hot-plugging (i.e.
where the card must be in the laptop at boot up). otherwise works
great.

peace, w