Re: [LAU] howto get pcmcia firewire card working

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jun 28 2014 - 08:07:36 EEST

On 06/27/2014 01:36 PM, Len Ovens wrote:
> On Fri, 27 Jun 2014, Wayne DePrince Jr. wrote:
>
>> thanks for the info. i guess everything is going USB these days.
>> but
>> can USB 3 perform as well as FW?
>
> Unless you know different, The last I heard there are no USB3 Audio
> interfaces. Many people feel there is nothing to be gained over USB2 for
> audio.
>
> _If_ you can find a usb port that has it's own irq and that is not used
> (via an internal usb hub) for any other bits (webcam, wifi card,
> touchpad, etc.) then very good performance can be had. Up to about 18
> channels plus midi at 48k/24bit... fewer at 96 (because normally 8 of
> the ports are adat). There are some better FW units (64 channels?) with
> the right FW IF.
>
> For a reality check on this. The only computers where USB is the only
> options are laptops and smaller computers and 18 i/os already require a
> BOB bigger than the computer. For something that requires more channels
> than 8 it is not that much more trouble to cart around a desktop box...
> or rackmount unit. Then other options exist anyway. A desktop MB _can_
> be cooled better than a laptop and quieter too. (though many desktops
> are actually louder)

Just built a replacement for my dying desktop system. Used a Zen fanless
PS. Even with 4 fans running inside it, the desktop is quieter than the
laptop cooler my laptop sits on.

My problem on desktops is that they're all just PCIe only. So now cannot
use the 2 Audiophile 24/96s I have. :(

I suppose I should pick up a PCIe Firewire card and talk the church into
loaning me their unused Presonus ...

--
David W. Jones
gnome@email-addr-hidden