Re: [LAU] Sound Chip as a synthesizer on Linux. Thoughts, ideas?

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Jul 11 2014 - 01:25:08 EEST

On Thu, 10 Jul 2014, Fede wrote:

> Just started reading a lot about the commodore 64's SID and just found
out lot of my childhood's games actually run the audio on actual synths,
which freaked me out totally.

> Anyway. These are still just ideas, because the topic is very vast;
there are lots of different sound chips, and I'm even considering getting
a c64 to use it as a sort of assembler csound, if that makes sense.

Have you seen this one: http://www.ucapps.de/midibox_sid.html ? The c64 is
not the only older computer with such a chip. But probably the best. I
have one of the general instruments chips here somewhere, but as far as I
know it has no internal filters, though it does have adsr (sort of). Radio
Shack used to sell them... long time ago :) I can see why the SID is so
popular... I will have to see if my brother in law still has any c64
around still.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net