Re: [LAU] Ardour complains disk system can't keep up

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jul 15 2014 - 09:08:09 EEST

On 07/15/2014 06:58 AM, jim wrote:

> Hiya,
> I've got a Zareason media box
> http://zareason.com/shop/MediaBox-5440.html
> with 8 GB RAM running AVlinux (a debian flavor);
> I use Ardour pretty much exclusively, that and
> the vi editor.
>
> The system can record a single track with no
> problem. It occasionally fails if I try to record
> two simultaneous tracks. If regularly fails if I try
> to record four or more tracks.
> The complaint is always that the disk system
> cannot keep up.
>
> Question: would just blindly replacing the spinning
> disk with SSD be a likely fix and an overall good
> idea?
>
> Question: what info should I capture and email to
> get appropriate help?
>
> Question: what commands will yield useful info
> for this diagnosis? (I like the command line but
> forget which commands do what other than the
> usual suspects for basic use.)
>
> Hopefully, with thanks,
> jim in SF

Hello Jim,

That's really weird, disk IO shouldn't be an issue with such a machine.
Maybe you could test the disk throughput and post the results here
together with the command you used? You could use tools like hdparm or
dd, there are quite some examples out there.
And what is the output of cat /proc/mounts for the drive in question?

Bye,

Jeremy