Re: [LAU] Measuring the acoustical characteristics of my studio using FLOSS software?

From: Russell Hanaghan <hanaghan.osaudio@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jul 23 2014 - 23:02:28 EEST

> On Jul 23, 2014, at 12:36 PM, Set Hallström <sakrecoer@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>

>> On Wed, Jul 23, 2014 at 7:52 AM, Gabriel Nordeborn <gabbe.nord@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> So, my question is: How on earth do I do this?! Are there FLOSS tools available for this? Is it easy to do something as basic as this?
>
> Frankly speaking, i have no idea about such tools, but i do have some experience in setting up the perfect room the poor-mans way.
>
> It boils down to this question: do you have a list with your all time favorite music pieces? If you do, regardless of your equipment: find the best ergonomic sollution you can for your monistors and equipment. Then play the list of favorites while you experiment with positioning pillows and blankets in the room. Move arround alot in your space and listen actively. This will tell you where and how your sound is resonating and bouncing in that room and help you shape it in the best possible way, ackording to your own personal preferences.

I tend to lean toward this methodology as well. Premise being, if you have the ears to mix with, and a basic understanding of your gear and it's configuration options, then you also have tue 'ear' to tune a room. It's the 'final say' for me. I use analyzer tools too... To give me another perspective on the tuning process. It can become a bit of an obsession that pours energy to less critical areas of the music in my case.