Re: [LAU] Desktop whole-screen audio/video recording

From: Will Godfrey <willgodfrey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 24 2014 - 20:56:37 EEST

I'm afraid that so far I've had no success with this at all.

First I tried the recommended Simple Screen Recorder, only this doesn't appear
in the debian testing repos, so I tried to compile it, making sure I had all
the headers installed. However it failed at the configure stage with:

checking for libavformat/avformat.h... yes
checking for av_guess_format in -lavformat... no
configure: error: required library missing

However, in /usr/include/libavformat/avformat.h
we have:

/**
 * Return the output format in the list of registered output formats
 * which best matches the provided parameters, or return NULL if
 * there is no match.
 *
 * @param short_name if non-NULL checks if short_name matches with the
 * names of the registered formats
 * @param filename if non-NULL checks if filename terminates with the
 * extensions of the registered formats
 * @param mime_type if non-NULL checks if mime_type matches with the
 * MIME type of the registered formats
 */
AVOutputFormat *av_guess_format(const char *short_name,
                                const char *filename,
                                const char *mime_type);

RecordMyDesktop doesn't seem to like my screen resolution, although the error
message it gives is somewhat confusing. The popup window says 'improper window
specification', but in the error log I get:

#recordMyDesktop stderror output:
Window size specification out of bounds!(current resolution:1920x1080)

The actual window size was 720 x 530, and I got exactly the same error if I
tried to grab a small area of the screen.

Finally, I tried byzanz-record from the command line (their website options
don't match what you get with --help). In this case I could record about 10
seconds, which is the default value. After this it would either segfault, or
appear to carry on recording and consuming a *lot* of CPU power. The resultant
file would again only play (in VLC) for about 10 seconds.

Where too next?

I'm using the current debian 'jessie' on a quad core 64bit AMD

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk