Re: [LAU] Measuring the acoustical characteristics of my studio using FLOSS software?

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 03 2014 - 20:06:28 EEST

On Sun, Aug 03, 2014 at 06:22:53PM +0200, Carlos sanchiavedraz wrote:

> - Pick a mirror
> - From your listening position perspective and moving the mirror (you
> know, with its back to the wall), find the areas where you see the
> image of your speakers reflected in the mirror. It's better to have
> some helping hand so you can stay seated in your LP.
>
> The point is: if you see the speakers/the light reflected from the
> speakers that gets to your eyes bounced from the mirror, then the
> sound will get to you bounced on those areas as well.

Take that with some very big lumps of salt.

For at least half of the audible frequency range, the wavelenght of
sound is comparable or larger than the typical sizes of objects that
surround us. Which means that sound will not behave as light. This is
the main reason why so many people have a completely wrong idea of how
sound waves interact with objects or a room.

Ciao,

--
FA