Re: [LAU] gxtuner trouble and alternatives

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 25 2014 - 18:25:01 EEST

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014, Philipp Überbacher wrote:

> I'm looking for nice an simple tuning program for tuning some Ukuleles.
> I stumbled upon gxtuner, which seems very nice, except that it doesn't
> work for some reason.

Generally I use guitarix, but that would be overkill for what you are
doing, So I installed some tuners:

lingot: I like it, the meter is very responsive without being too jittery.
Works with jack. I will probably keep this.

gxtuner: this works for me too, a bit more needle jitter than lingot, but
still very usable. Works with jack. No menus or settings besides the two
in the bottom corners.

gtkguitune: I could not get this to work. (I did not try very hard) It did
not create a jack port nor does it have any way of choosing an audio
device. For me this is useless as I run Jack all the time and do not want
to stop jack just to tune. I do recognize the GUI from times past and seem
to recall it was hard to use anyway, being too sensitive and jittery to
see what I was doing.

You may prefer lingot if only because you have visual feedback that there
is signal present even if there is not enough information for tuning
purposes, but gxtuner should work with jack just fine.

I am finding out why my guitar is so hard to play.... The intonation is
really bad... E is flat while G (two frets up) is sharp :P This guitar
uses a fret for the nut so this may be hard to fix.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net