Re: [LAU] gxtuner trouble and alternatives

From: Brent Busby <brent@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 26 2014 - 00:43:24 EEST

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014, Len Ovens wrote:

> On Mon, 25 Aug 2014, Philipp ?berbacher wrote:
>
> lingot: I like it, the meter is very responsive without being too
> jittery. Works with jack. I will probably keep this.

This is my favorite one, except for its bugs. I like that it's so good
at figuring out the fundamental frequency even when there are a *lot* of
harmonics. Also, it's very fast. If music with 16th-notes is played
into it, it will literally figure out the scale notes as the 16th-notes
go by without moving the meter. I've seen hardware tuners that couldn't
do that.

However, there's a noticeable CPU load even when it's just sitting there
with no Jack connection sent to it, and it actually causes xruns when
there are any Jack connections to it. (I will disconnect it when I'm
not actively tuning just to keep it from causing an xrun.)

I'd probably keep it running all the time to keep my Moog's wandering
pitch tracking in check if it weren't for the xrun/cpu issues.

+ Sr. UNIX Systems Admin +  banging on a million typewriters will
+ James Franck Institute +  Shakespeare.  Now, thanks to the Internet,
+ Materials Research Ctr +  we know this is not true." -Robert Wilensky