Re: [LAU] Delta1010: S/PDIF out has sync but no audio

From: Len Ovens <len@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 26 2014 - 03:37:02 EEST

On Mon, 25 Aug 2014, Menno wrote:

> I think my system runs solid now. There is only one weird thing left :P
> -i have a sync signal on the Delta's 1010 S/PDIF out, but there is still no
> sound.
>
> The weird thing is, that when i run jack and make a connection to the S/PDIF
> Hardware playback 9 and 10, i see the meters going up and down - but i there
> is no sound, only sync signal.
> And:
> the analog outputs playback 1 and 2 have the music instead, even if i have
> cut off the connection to Hardware 1 and 2.
>
> Could it be that this is a software bug? Has hardware playback 9 and 10 by
> accident become playback 1 and 2 by a simple copy and paste command in the
> software?

I wish I could say, but I have no s/pdif in amplifier. That is no way to
monitor the s/pdif out.

Looking at the Patchbay/Router in mudita24 (1.0.4) the last two columns
are s/pdif out and on mine they are set to s/pdif out. The fist way to
test, is to change this so that they are both set to H/W In 1 and put some
audio into channel one (no jack needed for this test, but a good, high
level yes) and see if you then get audio out from s/pdif. If you don't:

  - mudita sw bug
  - alsa sw bug
  - d1010 fw bug
  - d1010 internal hw problem.
  - d1010 Hardware settings mistake.

Are the things that would make sense. The Hardware Settings tab in mudita
has S/pdif Output settings. Try both Professional and Consumer settings.
Make sure Data mode is Audio. In consumer set copy permitted and original.
I am not sure what your amplifier needs as input... it may only look at
Copyrighted/Original or some odd thing. I don't know if I can tell
anything from scoping mine as my scope is plain analog no digital
functions so it may be difficult to sync a zero DC signal. (I have a d66
with no word clock)

SW/FW bugs are unlikely as I would expect others would have mentioned that
already, there are a lot of d1010s around. (lots of delta series boxes in
general) I would expect you are not the only person who has tried to use
s/pdif out.

--
Len Ovens
www.ovenwerks.net