Re: [LAU] ALSA: always use samplerate_best

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 27 2014 - 20:02:29 EEST

On Tue, Aug 26, 2014 at 8:45 AM, Grant <emailgrant@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> >> I think what I am saying is that for most cases the sample rate of your
> >> audio IF doesn't matter. So adding resampling to everything doesn't make
> >> sense... maybe try without first.
> >
> > I think you're saying that the ALSA resampler won't be used if the
> > upstream application does the resampling itself. Is that correct?
> > How can I find out if ALSA is the one resampling in a particular
> > scenario?
>

> Is there any way to find out if this is happening? Do some
> applications really do this?

depends on the device the application opens.

If you tell it to open a device with a name like "hw:N" or "hw:CARDNAME"
then ALSA will offer only the capabilities present in the audio hardware.
If you open it with a name like "plughw:N" or "plughw:CARD" then ALSA will
do everything it can to honor the format, sampling rate etc. asked for by
the application (including resampling, channel multiplexing etc.).