Re: [LAU] Successor/replacement for RME HDSP+Multiface?

From: Kaza Kore <dj_kaza@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 29 2014 - 04:14:48 EEST

> From: gheskett@email-addr-hidden
> To: linux-audio-user@email-addr-hidden
> Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2014 20:37:53 -0400
> Subject: Re: [LAU] Successor/replacement for RME HDSP+Multiface?
>
>...Hi-8 tape...

I thought we were talking about the future here! The 80s wants its property back!!

Also Hi8 is an analogue format so everything in the post is plain bollocks! Maybe you meant Digital8?? Still 15 years old and any tape format is pretty much dead and definitely not the future!

USB2 really doesn't perform that less well than most Firewire, especially with the low quality chipsets this protocol often seems to go through (whether the actual Firewire chipset, or the PCI(e) chipset that an adaptor hangs off. Biggest problem is finding a port which isn't shared with other devices, and many internal devices often share USB Hubs/Ports so it doesn't only depend on what you connect yourself.

If USB is not good enough for you (higher requirement for number of duplex channels for example) then go the route of PCI(e)/ExpressCard, or wait and see how USB3 develops over the coming months/years, although so far it seems pretty slow.