Re: [LAU] NOW - UEFI

From: david <gnome@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 30 2014 - 11:17:49 EEST

On 08/29/2014 07:29 PM, dale wrote:
> On Fri, 2014-08-29 at 10:15 -1000, david wrote:
>

>> Hmm, found this page at the Ubuntu Community about Ubuntu and UEFI.
>> Apparently it can be installed in SecureBoot mode. I don't know what
>> other distros can. I have Debian Sid on 2 machines here with EUFI, but
>> both are in BIOS/Legacy mode.
>
> I haven't looked in probably over a year but from what I remember at the
> time it seemed only Canonical (Ubuntu) and Red Hat Foundation were going
> to get the keys required for Secure Boot.

Thanks for clarification, both my System76 laptop and ASUS-based desktop
have SecureBoot disabled. The System76 came with Ubuntu 14 installed.

> On my laptop I have Secure Boot but it is disabled and separate to the
> UEFI option.
>
> Should probably have mentioned at the beginning it's a Lenovo X230,
> although most of my questions are of the more general kind.

Personally, I sometimes think the NSA is behind EUFI. What better place
to hide your spyware than built into the firmware? Then, of course,
someone realized that China, maker of most laptops and computers in
world, could be doing the same thing ... ;)

--
David W. Jones
gnome@email-addr-hidden