Re: [LAU] Debian DAW experiences

From: Jeremy Jongepier <jeremy@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Sep 01 2014 - 14:32:13 EEST

On 09/01/2014 07:42 AM, David Christensen wrote:
> linux-audio-user:
>
> I've been running a Debian Wheezy DAW (i386, Xfce, realtime kernel,
> Audacity, Rosegarden, various synthesizers, etc.) for the past week or
> two. It sort of worked. But, it's clearly not ready for taking on
> stage for a performance.

Hello David,

I wouldn't go on stage with a vanilla Debian Wheezy installation either.
Unfortunately I'm unaware of any distro that is not supposed to run on
dedicated hardware that is stage worthy right after installation. Almost
any distro will need some additional tweaking to be usable on stage.

> I checked for backports of more recent DAW titles, but none are available.
>

> So, today I rebuilt the machine using Debian Testing (Jessie).
>

> I started by downloading the 288 MB "netinst" ISO image. This was
> followed by 100's of MB of downloads to install the base system,
> graphical desktop (Xfce), laptop packages, SSH server, and print server.

If you want a minimal install you shouldn't select any additional
packages during installation. Those will pull in all recommended
packages like mentioned before.

> I fed my list of desired general-purpose, kernel, and DAW packages to
> Apt and it wanted to download another 1+ GB of files (!). I shook my
> head and lit it off.
>

> After several hours of hogging my 1.5 Mbps Internet connection, I
> noticed that Apt was downloading a 323 MB documentation package.
>

> Since when is documentation a *required* package?

Try using the apt.conf lines mentioned earlier or use apt-get
--no-install-recommends install packagename.

> For that matter, when is 288 MB a "small" installation image?
>

> And, there are other issues with Debian (such as cdrkit/ isoinfo).
>

> So, it's time for me to look for another Linux distribution. Are there
> any recommendations for a Linux distribution that:
>
> 1. Works correctly.
>
> 2. Is efficient in both space and time.
>
> 3. Offers a kernel suitable for DAW use at install time.
>
> 4. Offers current DAW software binary packages.
>
> 5. Provides simple OOTB *user* and *administrator* experiences -- e.g.
> minimal technical wrenching around under the hood.
>

> TIA,
>
> David

Try AV Linux, I think it meets all your requirements in your case, maybe
just not #5 but like I said, almost any distro needs additional tweaking
after being installed to be useable on stage.

Jeremy